Friday, June 13, 2008

Menos mal...

I just wanted to update just so someone aside from the few I talk to a couple times a week might know I'm still alive . Everything is going good, I've started my internship and I'm doing that about 15-18 hours a week on top of class. The only concrete thing I can show you that I've been doing is the company's newsletter, which I put together with a little help from my advisor. Click here for the link to that. It's been a bit rough as on Monday and Tuesday I leave for the office at 9 AM and don't get home until 10:30 that night, but it could be worse.

A few things on the agenda:
I'm going to San Antonio de Areco tomorrow, which is like the gaucho capital of Argentina and still maintains much of its early 18th century architecture. Sunday is the World Cup qualifying game between Argentina and Ecuador. I bought tickets yesterday and I cannot even begin to relay how incredibly excited I am about the game. I've been a huge fan of Argentina's national team for quite some time and it's going to be an absolute joy to get to see them play. Doesn't hurt that they're currently ranked as the best team in the world right now either. After that, it looks like alot of studying and writing. I have a test Tuesday and two papers due next week; one of them being 10-15 pages long. I should be done with class around the 26th of June if all goes well (as in I pass all of my finals and don't have to take the retests...eek). Theres a MINUTE possibility I may backpack up to northern Argentina into Bolivia and ultimately Machu Picchu in July but thats in the earliest stages of preparation right now.

That said, I changed my plane ticket today and instead of coming back the 12th of July, I will be leaving Buenos Aires on the 31st of July to return to Lubbock the morning of August 1st. It feels like I've been here forever and another month and a half seems like an eternity, but this has been the opportunity of a lifetime and I don't want to return home without having pushed it to its limits and squeezed if for everything I imagined I possibly could.

Anyway, that'll suffice as a quick update. Being the talented procrastinator that I am, I'll probably update next week amidst my bottomless hole of work about the events of the weekend with photos included.

¡Chau!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spenser, I have a granddaughter who is in Madrid in the program there. Searching the SU website, I came across your blog. Yo me considero medio Argentino. I spent 4 years there in the 60's and went back in 2004 with the family. Tere is a fabulous blog you need to read--wrighton.com.ar. Robert Wright, un norteamericano has lived there several years. You will find his blog fascinating--history, pics, architecture. It will enrich your experience immeasurably.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. May God continue to bless you richly.
J Miller, Bryan, TX

Spenser said...

In the rare case that you might check back here, J Miller, thanks for reading. I enjoyed the blog you linked, thanks a lot for that as well. What is your granddaughter's name? SU is a small school, its likely I have at least heard the name!

Anonymous said...

Robert Wright is leaving BS AS for Australia in mid-july. If you would like to contact him, you can use my name. I believe you would enjoy meeting him.
I'll be happy to give you her name--Stephanie M. Just e-mail me your e-mail address, and I will send you her last name. She reports having a fabulous time there.