Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Second Day in Buenos Aires

I realize this is the second post in two days, but hey, whatever.

Today we met up with the group in the Circulo Italiano which is basically a club for the Italian residents of Buenos Aires to meet up and socialize I suppose. It's about a 5 minute walk from my apartment and from my first impressions, this part of the city is VERY nice. It reminds me a lot of Paris, with really nie buildings and shops everywhere. We did a short little orientation which involved a game where he pretty much asked where everyone was from and what not. There's about a hundred of us I'd say and most of them are from REALLY good schools from all over the country (i.e. Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brandeis, Tufts, Bryn Mawr, Pitt, Penn etc.) I feel a little bit like the dumb one, but they're all really nice. I've been hanging out with a couple girls from Scripp's College, one from Columbia, and a guy from Yale. After the orientation I went with the previously mentioned to get lunch at a little cafe not far from the Circulo Italiano. I had a sandwich and a Quilmes cerveza. Hahaha I loooove being able to just order a beer at lunch! After lunch we went back to the place and they did another little informational section about the safety and what places to avoid in the city as well as how to use the city map of busses and subways, called Guia T. Overall not too exciting of a day.

My Spanish is pretty weak right now and my host mother has not been afraid to correct my Mexican Spanish (calle (street) is cay-je not cay-ye). I've also noticed that the locals I've encountered are pretty blunt about everything, willing to point out that your eyes are blood-shot or as my host mother put it <<>>. She is also very adament that I eat as much as possible. Tonight for instance, we ate dinner which was rice with salsa and a ground beef patty (a little questionable, but it seems okay). I cleaned my plate and she INSISTED that I continue to eat and I had to explain to her thatI was very full, so she put the left-overs in the fridge so that I could eat them later. We eat dinner at like 9 every night I think which is going to be a little hard to get used to. The weather is very hot and humid and the apartment doesn't have airconditioning, but it could be worse. I do have a fan and a window in my room so its not unbearable at night.

I had better end it at that it's getting a bit late and yeah... I enabled anonymous commenting so now anyone can comment if they really want to. I'd at least like to know if anyone is reading this and or suggestions, the whole nine yards.

Chau!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad has read it! Thanks for the update, dropus an e-mail whan you get the chance.

Anonymous said...

Hey Spin! We love reading about what is going on with you. It sounds like you're off and running. Maybe you can give us a little Spanish lesson on each of your posts...
Can't wait to see some pics!

Anonymous said...

glad you're having fun and meeting people... especially italians when you're in argentina!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your host mom sounds like all my Mexican aunts... I'm glad she is taking good care of you though.
My dad said that the Argentinians would be that way (he says they are "arrogant and unfriendly"--- his words!) so I guess it makes sense that they point out everything and correct you and stuff. But you are there to learn so you should tell your host mom to feel free to correct you!
Whats her name by the way?
I am so jealous that you just had a beer with lunch..just like that. Reason enough to study abroad.
We miss you so much and it already feels like youve been gone forever :(
I'm so glad you are meeting people and I wish I could be there with you! Keep updating every day!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun spenser, everyone misses you here at the house we are thinkin about you buddy

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you have this blog! it's going to be so awesome finding out what your new life is like and its great to hear that you're already meeting people and learning your way around.

Mary Galardi said...

What an awesome experience! Wish we were coming to visit. Keep blogging, even the stuff you don't want your parents to read; they'll get over it by the time you get home...

Anonymous said...

Spenser, we love hearing what is going on. Sounds like a good start...Love ya Man