Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spenser's first setback!

So I left my camera at a coffee shop today and did not realize I had done it until five hours later, at which point I pretty much went into freak out mode. I ran back to the cafe but they couldn't find it and then I went to another cafe that I had been in earlier in the day and they had not seen it either. I went to the cafe around 1 today, with my friend Margo, and I had my computer and camera so I loaded pictures onto my computer to share with everyone, and I'm dead serious (this isn't one of those things you think you were thinking at the time) I had this really weird feeling that those were the only pictures that I would have of my own from BA. waddya know?? As a result of this mess it all kind of came back and bit me in the ass that I seriously am in Argentina and I won't be back for 5 months. It worries me a little that I'm already freaking out, but I think that's just the way I am. Anyhow, I loaded some of the pictures I've taken onto Facebook and can send the link by e-mail to anyone that does not have Facebook and would like to see them.
  • My week has been pretty hectic with just a whole lot of orientation stuff. Yesterday was my friend Kendra's 21st, so we went out last night to celebrate. It was a little bit of an adventure and definitely an experience. I left my house about 12 and we were at the 'boliche' (typical BA bar) around 1230, by Buenos Aires standard very early. We went to a few boliches and just kind of hung out and then took a taxi home. Everyone seems very nice (except the douchebag that didn't turn in my lost camera, but who can blame them honestly) and is willing to help us with our Spanish** but they are really picky about pronunciation, it seems like they intentionally ignore you if say something like seis in a normal, Mexican accent instead of the Argentine saiYs. Whatever though.
  • Yesterday we did the whole tourist thing and took a tour of Plaza Mayo (where the main catedral and presidential palace are) and the San Telmo and Montserrat barrios. It was a lot of fun and really interesting to see everything. Random little side note, we saw a TON of girls screaming and looking and someone hanging out a window from a hotel. Come to find out it was the extremely famous and world renowned band My Chemical Romance. They have good taste in music here, lemme tell ya.
  • I'm not entirely sure if I can even think of anything else to say just because SO much has happened in the last few days that I'm still in the process of absorbing it all. I feel like I've been here for almost a month now and it's only been 5 days! Anyway hope everyone is doing well!
  • Sorry about the bullets, it wouldn't seperate the paragraphs without them and it was really bothering me.
** for Aunt Blair: They call Spanish here 'Castellano' (pronounced caste-jahno) because of the minor differences in pronunciation and usages. Por ejemplo, for the familiar you, they use 'vos' instead of 'tu'. Like 'you buy' is not 'tu compras' but 'vos comprás.' I would try to explain that whole concept a little bit more, but I'm having a really hard time trying to figure it out for myself!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...i'm likin' the spanish lesson!!

Anonymous said...

you gotta just break down and buy a new camera... you will majorly regret it later if you don't. Sucks that it is lost, but you can't have a good semester abroad without at least one disaster!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Meghan! Even if its those cheapie disposable ones, you HAVE to have something. I'm sorry you lost it though. Sad sad sad. Miss you...about to go to one of Jonathan's soccer games and wish you were coming to keep me informed!

Anonymous said...

hi Spenser--good to hear from you

Anonymous said...

Hi Spenser! So I pretty much love following the blog; however, I'm ready for some more consisent updates. I know you left your camera, but come on, something has to have happened since - j/k

For those of us who are living vicariously through you - we need more info. :)

Take care, have fun and drink more cheap beer (your mom was saying that your living expenses - alcohol in particular - were much lower in Buenos Aires - I think what she meant was she wants you to drink more - may just be my interpretation.:) )

Anonymous said...

sweet picture of slop spenser, im lovin it!!!